Saturday 2 June 2012

Airliner Profile Wall Plaques

This all started as a bit of a hobby. I'm a self confessed airliner nut, and have been all my life I guess. I've loved airliner profile illustrations since childhood, but seemed to overlook the connection between my skills as a graphic designer and this airliner profile obsession. Until recently...


So I started basically from scratch, as one does. I work as a warehouse co-ordinator for a company that specializes in aircraft cabin cleaning at Melbourne Airport (YMML), so I am fortunate enough to have hands on access to these big beautiful jets. I've always had a soft spot for Cathay Pacific, so I decided to start there.


After hours spent trawling airliners.net, I collected dozens of photographs of the CX A330 (which is the aircraft type Cathay uses to fly into Melbourne). Side profile shots, nose close-ups, tail close-ups wign and engine close-ups etc. I then started painstakingly tracing all the bits and pieces I needed using Adobe Illustrator, adding finer details as each piece came together. It took many many hours over many many late nights and weekends, but the end result of this  labour of love is what you see below. The beauty of them is that they are full vector designs, which means they can be enlarged to what ever size you can dream of, and they'll still be as detailed as ever.


I'm constantly piecing different aircraft type together, and currently have a fleet of 7 aircraft (and their derivitives). The Boeing 757 is my current project.

No comments:

Post a Comment